The Blue Hill Troupe is proud to support Rocking the Boat for our 93rd season.
The Blue Hill Troupe is thrilled to help support Rocking the Boat’s youth development mission and innovative boat-centric programs. Rocking the Boat empowers young people from the South Bronx to develop the self-confidence to set ambitious goals and gain the skills necessary to achieve them. Students work together to build wooden boats, learn to row and sail, and restore local urban waterways, revitalizing their community while creating better lives for themselves. Kids don’t just build boats, boats build kids.
Shortly after being launched in 1996 as a volunteer project in an East Harlem junior high school, Rocking the Boat worked under the aegis of New Settlement Apartments, which provided both workshop space and students for the cornerstone Boatbuilding Program. Incorporated as an independent 501(c)3 non-profit organization in 2001, Rocking the Boat continued to cultivate relationships with a wide variety of community-based, educational, environmental, cultural and historical organizations, and expand the size and scope of its services. Namely, the On-Water Education Program was added in 2002, the On-Water Classroom in 2005, the Job Skills Program in 2006, Community Rowing in 2007, and the Sailing Program in 2015.
· All participants develop a range of technical skills in their medium of choice—Boatbuilding, Environmental Science, or Sailing—in accordance with Rocking the Boat’s curricular structure.
· All participants advance six core social/emotional skills—communication, accountability, initiative, determination, teamwork and problem solving.
· All participants stay in school and on track to graduate from high school or receive an equivalency diploma (HSE/TASC).
· All participants explore their post-secondary options—college, trade school, certification programs—during their freshman and sophomore years of high school, and as juniors and seniors, take the concrete steps necessary to graduate with an educational plan in place.
· Members of Rocking the Boat’s broader alumni community stay connected to the organization and continue to receive services as necessary as they work towards achieving their academic and professional goals
· All participants who graduate high school and enroll in a college or trade school receive $2,000 scholarships from Rocking the Boat as well as scholarships from external public and private sources.
· 100% of Rocking the Boat students complete their high school education
· Over the past two years, 28 out of 29 seniors were accepted and are attending college or trade school
· 80% of students who have graduated high school within the past six years have either graduated college or are currently enrolled
· Five former students are on full-time salaried staff, another 20 work part time as Program Assistants while in college, and more than 30 are employed as paid apprentices in our Boatbuilding, Environmental, and Sailing Job Skills Programs
Learn More about the Rocking the Boat!
- Web: http://www.rockingtheboat.org/
- Twitter: @RTBBronx
- Instagram: @RTBBronx
- Facebook: official page: https://www.facebook.com/rockingtheboat
Watch these videos to find out more!